Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Self-checkout - Works For Me Wednesday

When I take my kids to the grocery store, we use the self-checkout. Why would I choose to check out and bag (sack, for you southern folk) our own groceries when I'm paying someone else to do it through the built-in cost of the groceries? Because it simplifies the checkout process. Really, it does. I have 3 young kids and there are tons of attractive magazines, gobs of candy and gumball machines, lottery ticket machines, coin counting machines, and front doors that go directly in to the parking lot right there by the check-out lanes. While I am unloading the cart, making sure everything rings up properly, paying for the groceries, and then re-loading the cart with bags, my kids have tons of distractions. And so do I - making sure they aren't adding things to the cart, running out the door, disappearing, or just begging for all the temptations. It's hard.

So, with the self-check out system, I can give all my kids a job. They can form a line and take turns ringing up and bagging or they can form an assembly like and one takes out the cart, one rings up, and one bags. Everyone is occupied. Everyone is happy. Everyone is busy. Plus they are contributing to a happy trip to the grocery store. As long as I can get them to not lean on the scale where we do the bagging, that is.

So, yes, even if my cart is overflowing with groceries, we do the self-checkout. In fact, especially if it's overflowing. It works for us.

If you have never used one of these before, I encourage you to read this hilarious, yet accurate, tutorial from Dawn.

Want to read about what works for others, visit Kristen at WeAreTHATFamily.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I have always shied away from the self-checkouts except at Costco but this makes sense.

    I am following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Great... you've totally rocked my world - I can't remember if I say "sack" OR "bag" now.

    2) When I read the first part of your post, I thought, you are stone-crazy! Until I saw there was a method to your madness. Self-checkout at the grocery is a kid's dream, I'm thinking. Great idea! I am remedial when it comes to self-checkouts, though - even though I'm alone, it can take me eons to ring up a pack of gum and a carton of milk. Add produce to the mix, and I'm ripping my eyelashes out. So most days I eschew those self-check things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try to remember this tip in a few years. Right now, my toddler climbs onto the scale and throws off the machine whenever I try to take him through the self checkout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think my kids are still too young for that, at least my two youngest, but I will have to remember that one in a few years! Waiting in line to pay is always torturous though!!

    ReplyDelete