Thursday, January 28, 2010

ANSWER: What is this? Guessing game.

UPDATE: Believe it or not, this is HONEY. We buy honey by the 5 gallon bucket and sometimes it crystallizes a bit before we use it all. I scoop it into quart-size jars and keep those handy for every day use. Yes, we use it nearly every day. It's the "sugar" for our family. On cereal, in tea, and in baking. Take just about any recipe that calls for sugar, use 1/2 that amount of honey instead. Yum! Do I use it crystallized? Not usually. It doesn't matter in tea or baking, but it's a little crunchy on cereal or just on a spoon. So, once I scoop it into the jar, I bring a pan of water to simmer and place the jar (without the lid) in the water and warm it until it's runny. Don't ever let honey boil! It kills all the good stuff in it! Did you know that honey can be used as an antiseptic, anti-fungal, and as a throat soother?


Dave, at homeschooldad, has Things This Thursday going on every Thursday. I rarely have much to say on my blog that can be scheduled, but I will try this time.

Do you have any idea what this is? I guess one could call it a thing, so maybe I can bend the rules a bit and make it fit Things This Thursday. Go ahead, take a guess. Let others know about this guessing game and let's see how interesting the answers are. I know it's not a popular blog and I'm not really doing anything to make it so, but maybe, little by little, I'll get more comfortable with growing it. So, this is my first step.



WHAT IS THIS???

4 comments:

  1. I dunno, but it looks kinda greasy! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what is pictured, but just 'found' your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. applesauce? that's starting to separate? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I was wondering when you would let us know! Thanks for the honey-ed, too... seriously. I didn't know you could de-crystalize honey, and I didn't know that boiling kills the *good* stuff.

    ReplyDelete