Rachel at A Southern Fairy Tale hosts Mouthwatering Monday. I read her blog a couple times a week and always on Mondays. I love the recipes that she shares and browsing through the link-ups. Several times I have intended to participate and time has gotten away from me. Well, this week I just have to share this recipe! It's such a tasty treat and so easy to make!
2 bunches of asparagus
1 small red onion
2 plum or Roma tomatoes or equivalent other tomatoes
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese
1/2 cucumber (or 1 small one)
several fresh basil leaves
garlic vinaigrette (Aldi has it cheap!)
1. Rinse asparagus, tomatoes, cucumber and basil leaves.
2. Break off asparagus stems where they bend naturally.
3. Rinse asparagus well.
4. Chop asparagus into 1 inch pieces.
5. Steam asparagus until it is tender-crisp. This is when it is bright green in the pan and the color has not dulled. It only takes about 3-5 minutes.
6. Drain asparagus and rinse in cold water, put in large bowl and set aside.
7. Finely chop red onions and add to the asparagus.
8. Chop tomatoes in half, then thirds, then thirds the other way. This leaves the chunks large enough to really enjoy in this salad. Add to the asparagus.
9. Peel and chop cucumber in either thin slices or small chunks. Add to the asparagus.
10. Chop mozzarella into chunks about the same size as the tomato chunks. Add to the asparagus.
11. Cut basil with kitchen shears or chop finely. Add to the asparagus.
12. Shake the vinaigrette and pour about 1/3 cup over salad.
13. Stir or toss well.